Almost everyone knows what texting is but for those who are not that much into gadgets, Texting is basically a way to message someone using your mobile phone. Nowadays, India is second in terms of number of mobile phone users in the world. They also have around 10 different service providers and with their cheap messaging rates, many prefer to send SMS instead of calling. This is quite common in teenagers. This is why this disease is often found in them.
Textaphrenia is a type of disorder linked to those who are addicted to texting. For those who are often glued to their cell phone and keep on texting away, keep in mind that, just like radiation that comes from mobile phones, texting constantly can also affect your state of mind.
A study that was recently conducted in Melbourne showed some alarming results. The study was done to determine the habits of the younger generation when it comes to communication and they discovered that those who text excessively are at a risk of insecurity, poor self-esteem, anxiety, depression, and repetitive thumb syndrome.
Measures to Cure the Disorder
Although there is no definite cure to this disorder as of today, there are practical treatments such as abstaining from the use of cell phone and these following tips.
- Turn it on silent. You should also leave it anywhere in the house. This is a great way to forget that you actually have a phone. You can always check after a few hours if you can’t go a full day without texting.
- Leave your cell phone in the car. This is a good idea but make sure that you don’t leave it in your parents’ car as they might read your text messages.
- Hide your cell phone under your bed. If you have a maid who cleans your house regularly, best look for a different location as they might take your phone with them.
- Get a new number. Don’t give out your new number to your friends so they won’t be able to reach you and you won’t be tempted to ring them up. Of course, there are side effects to this such as loss of friends and missing out on important announcements that can cost you time.
- Leave your phone in your college. This is a risky one and may cause anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. However, there is a possibility that your parents will buy you a new one.